Customer Technical Manager, permanent
We have an exciting opportunity to join one of Europe’s leading manufacturer’s based in Middleton, Manchester. McBride is the leading supplier of Private Label Household and professional cleaning/hygiene products for Europe's largest and most successful retailers as well as producing own brand products.
The formula for our success is quite straightforward: we work by our Key Values – Always Committed, Working Together, Aspire to be the best and Giving and Taking Accountability to create a positive environment for all McBride employees.
Build Positive Technical Relationships with Contract Manufacturing and Private Label Customers, through her/his technical & legislative expertise, influence and communication. Provides a technical liaison between the Customer and different internal functions delivering the technical data requirements of the product launch and ongoing customer projects. Build stronger relationships between our internal technical teams (Product Development, Quality and Manufacturing sites and commercial teams) to ensure technical data is accurate within the customer specification systems.
Your responsibilities will be
- Technical-commercial support to the division by translating technical expertise into commercial lead discussions. The role includes direct customer contract for assigned retail and contract customers
- Supports on the technical liaison between the commercial organisation and customers (both private label and contract manufacturing) on areas such as product development (formulation and packaging) both for ongoing projects, legislation or issues. Ensuring clear and concise communication to all stakeholders.
- Receives, understands, interprets, synthetises and builds knowledge on legal/quality and technical policy requirements of customers, and ensure internal technical teams are informed.
- Supports on the negotiation on policies with the customers to avoid important impact in McBride departments, and when necessary raise the customer’s policies impacts within McBride to senior management.
- Give technical/commercial support and advice to the division by providing the necessary technical information to support product introduction and launches on time.
- Understanding of the current and future Regulatory demands impacting the division, providing support to the different departments. Together with the Customer Technical manager/ Customer technical leaders, this role will be essential on the communication towards customers internal departments on the regulatory changes and impact of internal or external policies.
- Support QC/Product Safety/Regulatory affairs on some key specific matters in the allocated countries (e.g. customer audits)
- Deliver correct pack copies and artwork via the agreed process.
- Technical coordinator for (new) Product Developments towards the customer
- Support the commercial and product development teams in translating the customer needs into the development briefs
- Translate the customer’s requirements to PD, Quality and manufacturing sites. Supports product development by providing customer’s perspectives to the internal teams .
- Translate and interpret customers related demands in offer/development briefings.
- Advise on priority settings based on customers’ perspectives.
- Drive projects related to legislative changes (example BPR, CLP)
- Play a key role in understanding testing methods used by customers and external labs
- Manage complexity rules imposed by the division while ensuring these are compatible with the execution of the divisional strategy.
- Identify and recommend changes to formulation, packaging, etc. to remove complexity and avoid additional fixed costs.
- Bridge between Customer and McBride technical teams for product launch
- Together with Customer Technical Manager this role have direct customer contact acting as the professional representative of the technical teams in customer meetings.
- Close collaboration with internal stakeholders (product legislation, audit teams, QHSE) to capture relevant topics and pro-actively share/communicate with the CM team
- Ensure clear and concise communication to all parties involved, e.g. customer, Contract Manufacturing Team, Product Development, Regulatory Affairs, Quality and manufacturing sites.
- Liaise with sites, technical and quality teams ahead of customer audits and first production runs to ensure all specs are clear and implemented correctly.
- Ensure all customer artwork and documentation is ready on time to facilitate the launch.
- Lead the local Team of Reference officer, Data management and Printing designer
Skills and education we are looking for
- University Degree of Chemical Engineer – or equivalent or Business School Degree with strong technical acumen
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a technical / product development role in FMCG environment
- Experience in product development in the homecare industry.
- Experience of artwork, pack copy and retailer specification systems.
- Experience with retailers and especially quality & policy departments of the retail.
- Experience with EU regulations such as CLP, BPR or Reach.
- Experience in commercial and quality contracts
- Languages English and another European language is a desirable.
- IT skills – good knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook, Internet, SAP and EH&S
International travel will be required
What will make you successful
- Ability to work under pressure to agreed timescales
- Ability to prioritise in a constantly changing environment
- Strong communication capabilities both internally & externally
- Ability to work independently
- A keen commercial awareness
- Good presentation skills
- Resilient to setbacks
- Willingness to learn new skills
- An open and enquiring mind
- Project management skills
- Strong organisational skills
- Technical understanding of various technical aspects e.g.: Due diligence / BRC / Sedex
- Influencing skills
- Entrepreneurial drive/ persistence
- Attention to detail
- Strong team work ethic
- Committed and Persuasive
- Flexible, creative and innovative
What can you expect
- To join a talented team where your contribution is recognised
- To work in a challenging, fast paced, international company
In return you will receive
- Competitive package available
- 30 days holiday per year plus 3 statutory (incl. bank holidays)
- Matched pension up to 8% through salary sacrifice
- Up to 3 ‘Thank You’ Days (extra holidays per year) for full attendance
- Private Health Scheme
- Free parking
- Free products
- Christmas savings scheme
- Discount scheme
Privacy Statement: We will use the personal information that you have submitted to us in order to consider your application for the relevant role. Your privacy is important to us. Please check our Job Applicant Privacy Notice on our career opportunities page http://www.mcbride.co.uk/job-applicant-privacy which explains the purposes for which we will use your personal information and the ways in which we will handle and retain your information. It also explains the rights you have in relation to your information, and how to contact us with any queries or requests.