Environment, Health & Safety Officer (EHS)
We have an exciting opportunity to join one of Europe’s leading manufacturer’s based in Central Park. McBride is the leading supplier of Private Label Household and professional cleaning/hygiene products for Europe's largest and most successful retailers as well as producing own brand products.
The formula for our success is quite straightforward: we work by our Key Principles - Teamwork, Communication, Engagement and Leadership to create a positive environment for all McBride employees.
Working in conjunction with EHS manager and Site Managers, co-ordinate EHS management systems for the Middleton Site ensuring, as a minimum, compliance with company and statutory health, safety and environmental policies, procedures, standards and regulations.
Your responsibilities will be
Health & Safety
Work in conjunction with / deputise for the EHS manager as required so that routine requirements of the Health & Safety Management system are met.
- Work with individual departments to maintain suitable standard of accident investigations and risk assessments.
- Support line management in the operation of the site safety and environment management system and department meetings.
- Provide guidance and training to line managers and employees on health, safety and environment issues including induction training
- Lead PPE management systems to ensure correct provision of suitable PPE within budget
- Assist the production teams with the implementation of policies and procedures.
- Drive site plans to complete all required risk assessments and monitor standards
- Drive completion of priority actions from accidents, incidents, audits and risk assessments by ensuring up to date records and working closely with actionees and department managers.
- Attend HSG65 meetings.
- Deliver Health & Safety training to staff.
- Conduct H&S audits in line with departmental plan
- Coach and support managers to establish root causes for incidents
- Provide support and ensure H&S initiatives are embedded e.g. NMR processes
- Deliver site EHS objectives to meet site business plan and address significant site risks
- Investigate H&S issues following incidents or reports from other sites within the group
- Provide support to achieve COMAH compliance
- Manage First Aid provision to site
- Ensure adequate numbers of trained first aiders on site
- Ensure access to first aid supplies
- Any other appropriate duties, as directed by the Environmental, Health & Safety Manager.
Co-ordinate site activities so that requirements of the environmental management system are met :-
- Review and update environmental procedures, aspects & impacts, targets and drive completion of SMART objectives
- Maintain up to date records, registers and logs eg legal register, waste logs
- Manage all waste and supervise collections as required (eg hazardous waste)
- Manage environmental audits
- Prepare and update annual internal audit plan
- Conduct internal audits and coordinate completion by others to meet plan
- Drive completion of audit actions within agreed timescales
- Co-ordinate preparations for and support ISO14001 audits
- Lead Duty of Care Audits of waste service providers (Review environmental incident investigation reports
- Ensure a suitable standard and root causes addressed by corrective / preventative actions
- Drive completion of actions within agreed timescales
- Contact EA to report incidents as required
- Produce accurate monthly key performance indicator (KPI) data, trends and summary
- Produce environmental update for Communications briefs.
- Liaise with external bodies (eg EA, HSE) and the Company’s Insurers as required.
- Raise awareness of environmental issues across the site through communications and
- Lead initiatives to reduce waste and water usage and increase recycling. Support ‘energy champion ‘in energy improvements
- Maintain environmental records to be constantly ‘audit ready’
- Maintain up-to date knowledge of all related environmental legislation
- Manage cleaning team and ensure suitable cover on all shifts. Manage hygiene services for site.
- Perform regular checks on environmental protection systems e.g. envirovalve, spill kits
Skills and education we are looking for
- Trained auditor.
- NEBOSH Certificate or equivalent required
- Experience of dealing with statutory bodies, e.g. EA, United Utilities, HSE.
- Ability to communicate enthusiasm and awareness of EHS topics to site employees.
- Good presentation and training skills.
- Ability to chair meetings.
- Experience of working in a manufacturing environment with a complex technical background.
- Good IT skills
- 2yrs plus experience in similar role
- Externally recognised environmental qualifications eg IEMA.
- IOSH membership
What will make you successful
An experienced HSE Officer with a few years under your belt in a Manufacturing or FMCG environment. Ability to communicate at all levels and engage with people is essential.
What can you expect
- To join a talented team where your contribution is recognised
- To work in a challenging, fast paced, international company
In turn you will receive
- A competitive salary
- On site canteen
- On site free parking
- A range of free drinks,
- 10 Free company products per month
- Access to discounts, Christmas saving scheme, and prize draws
- Work wear and PPE provided
- Company pension, matched up to 8%
- 30 days holiday (including 5 bank holidays) plus 3 bank holidays at Christmas
- Thank you days - Extra holidays (up to 3 per annum)
- Private Health Scheme (with small contribution)
The closing date for applications is 6 November 2020.
Privacy Statement: We will use the personal information that you have submitted to us in order to consider your application for the relevant role. Your privacy is important to us. Please check our Job Applicant Privacy Notice on our career opportunities page http://www.mcbride.co.uk/job-applicant-privacy which explains the purposes for which we will use your personal information and the ways in which we will handle and retain your information. It also explains the rights you have in relation to your information, and how to contact us with any queries or requests.