Senior Product Safety Manager, Permanent
We have an exciting opportunity to join one of Europe’s leading manufacturer’s based in Middleton. McBride is the leading supplier of Private Label Household and professional cleaning/hygiene products for Europe's largest and most successful retailers as well as producing own brand products.
The formula for our success is quite straightforward: we work by our Key Principles - Teamwork, Communication, Engagement and Leadership to create a positive environment for all McBride employees.
To contribute to achievement of the company overall strategy through provision of an ‘independent’ central group service for the assurance of Legal and Safety Compliance of products and the raw materials they contain.
To discharge these duties the Senior Product Safety Manager applies expert professional knowledge of the Regulatory Affairs procedures, relevant product safety legislation, risk assessment principles and toxicology knowledge to the assessment of products in relation to use and foreseeable misuse.
Your responsibilities will be
- Author consumer risk assessments for McBride group as required and take responsibility for risk assessment decisions. Take accountability with Head of Regulatory affairs for risk assessment decisions.
- To evaluate and assess product undesirable events as required, document assessment and propose corrective actions.
- Create policies and guidelines in support of Regulatory Affairs team objectives as required for both specific raw material and product issues.
- Act as group expert for consumer safety topics as it relates to both raw materials and products, represent Regulatory Affairs team both internally and externally in relation to this.
- To evaluate raw materials and assess suitability for proposed end use taking into account McBride guidelines, internal & external toxicological data and relevant legislation. Document assessment and supporting evidence and make approval or rejection decision based on this.
- To evaluate and assess suitability of McBride products for proposed end use taking into account McBride guidelines, toxicological data, in-vitro testing, WoE, history of use, raw material safety status and relevant legislation.
o For products found to be within existing guidelines make approval decision, document assessment with supporting evidence.
o If assessment concludes product is outside existing guidelines, document assessment and propose amendments or make rejection decision.
- To co-review and make approval/rejection decision on product and raw material assessments conducted by Product Safety team members.
- To continually update/maintain information (e.g. documentation/databases) used for all decisions in relevant Product Safety systems. Role is accountable for all changes impacting on safety decision making.
- To advise and propose required testing at third party laboratories to support product classification, claims pertaining to human well-being & compatibility in line with regulatory guidance. As required interpret and provide evaluation conclusion on testing results. This role is fully accountable for testing decisions and ensuring all relevant products are fully supported.
- To respond to queries on products from stakeholders and give advice as required.
- To work with product development to gain understanding of the future development direction and highlight and give guidance on potential safety/legal issues. Document any guidance and supporting evidence provided.
- To work with Regulatory Affairs team on the continuous improvement and adaptation of guidelines/processes to meet changing business and regulatory needs.
- Understand the legal consumer requirements for products in terms of raw materials, labelling/packaging requirements and safety.
- To study independently (courses, seminars) to acquire the knowledge and experience necessary to be regarded as an experienced safety assessor able to work with minimum supervision.
Skills and education we are looking for
- Minimum requirement of a degree or equivalent in Toxicology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related science is essential.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in FMCG Product Safety Assessment is essential.
- Specific qualification in the field of toxicology or safety assessment would be highly desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in at least one technical aspect of consumer product manufacture or development.
- Good working knowledge of Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 on classification, labelling and packaging of substances and mixtures (CLP) as it relates to the application of expert judgement for the classification of mixtures.
- Demonstrated experience of authoring consumer risk assessments would be advantageous.
- Line management experience would be advantageous.
- Computer literate – good user knowledge of Word / Excel / PowerPoint. Experience working with SAP is advantageous
- Logical with very strong organisation skills – able to successfully manage multiple tasks & deadlines.
What will make you successful
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure whilst maintaining accuracy to meet business service.
- Work timely and accurately.
- Excellent verbal & written communication skills. Fluency in multiple European languages is advantageous.
- A good team worker who is flexible and self-motivating. Always looking for continuous improvement opportunities to deliver results to customers.
What can you expect
- To join a talented team where your contribution is recognised
- To work in a challenging, fast paced, international company
In return you will receive
- Competitive package available
- Car allowance
- 30 days holiday (including 5 bank holidays) plus 3 bank holidays at Christmas
- Matched pension up to 8% through salary sacrifice
- Private Health Scheme (subject to joining date)
- On site free parking
- On site canteen
- A range of free drinks
- Free company products
- Access to discounts, Christmas saving scheme and prize draws
The closing date for applications is 18/12/2020
Privacy Statement: We will use the personal information that you have submitted to us in order to consider your application for the relevant role. Your privacy is important to us. Please check our Job Applicant Privacy Notice on our career opportunities page http://www.mcbride.co.uk/job-applicant-privacy which explains the purposes for which we will use your personal information and the ways in which we will handle and retain your information. It also explains the rights you have in relation to your information, and how to contact us with any queries or requests.